Jul 15, 2008

So Far...

We've been here since 7 yesterday morning. Got checked in to find her sugar at 41 and her BP in the orbit range. NPO for surgery meant all treatment was via IV. Got her stable, then waited til 1230 for her to go to surgery. She was in recovery by 115, and in her room by 2.
Everything went pretty smooth except for her blood glucose. Actually, they were fine, but the doc ordered them EVERY HOUR. EVERY FLIPPIN HOUR. It has been in the 180 range most of the last 12 hours. No insulin last night. Or BP med, thyroid med or neuropathy meds. "The doc didn't resume her home meds." WELL, ARE YOUR DAMN FINGERS BROKEN AND YOU CAN'T CALL HIM????? Oh yeah, I am just one big ray of sunshine right now. The pain meds were given last night waaaaaay too late to get on top of the pain, so she had to get IV morphine. That was at 8 last night. Every hour, the nurse or CNA has been in here to check her sugar. Have they helped her to the bathroom? NO. Can she go alone? (All together now...) NO. Has she been offered oral pain meds all night? HELL TO THE NO. I finally had enough at 4 this morning and got a message to the nurse that she needed meds. She shows up 15 minutes later with PERCOCET. I told her to get her a shot, that percs would be like throwing a rock at the moon. She wanted to argue with me. I reached for the phone, and before you could say "boo", the nurse returned with the morphine. I also refused her next accucheck on her behalf so she could get a little sleep. Guess what? The doc just walked out of here. Resuming home meds, blood sugars before meals and at bedtime. (And woke her up to do it-but she's already snoring again.) Thank you, Lord. She made it.
~:/

9 comments:

dhcoop said...

You have been on my mind, sweetie. I hope Mom does okay today and maybe you can get a bit of a nap.

mayberry said...

I'm sorry the first night didn't go well. I H A T E Hospitals. You're still on my mind and very much in my prayers. Hope we can do that Fernando's date real soon - sounds like you needs some chips and salsa!

Susan said...

Glad she's getting through ok. Sorry the hospital is populated with morons. Hopefully she gets to go home soon?

From the Doghouse said...

I'm glad you were there to ride herd on everything (and I'm sure she is too). Glad everything's looking good, despite the goofy treatment.

tank said...

hospitals are a drag but so glad she did well w/surgery.

black betty said...

i effin' HATE hospitals. prayers your way.

Mrs.H said...

I just got up the nerve to look. I was afraid that...well, I was just afraid. It sounds so familiar. I am so glad that she is recovering from the surgery and mostly that you are there to look after her. Give her a hug from me

watercolordaisy said...

I want to hire you the next time I have to be in the hospital.

hugs sweetie. Your mom has been in my thoughts and prayers even though I haven't been able to log in much.

From the Doghouse said...

What's the latest, how's she doing?