Oct 24, 2007

T minus 14 days and counting

Do you guys remember the harrowing tales of Miss Thang and her tonsils? They come out 2 weeks from today, the day after her 9th birthday. She finished (another round of) Omnicef 8 days ago...I had to call the surgeon to let him know the white patches were back in force 2 days after the antibiotics were finished. Stacey will LOVE this story. It happens to nurses too.

So I call Monday at 430 because thats when she gets home from mom's house after finising her homework and see the tonsils from hell have returned. Got the answering service. "Is this an emergency?" I gave them the rundown,and they told me to call back at 8 in the morning. So I called yesterday morning and left a message with the toodamnniceforthisearlyinthemorning receptionist who answers her calls on SPEAKERPHONE so the whole lobby hears every conversation. I give her a message for the nurse, who she promises will call me back ASAP. I go tomy doc, get 3 shots and get back home by 10 with no message.12-no call. 130-I am PISSED. I call back, leave another message and fume. At 3, the nurse calls back, basically tells me I am overreacting when I remind her 1.I AM A NURSE, DO NOT PATRONIZE ME. 2.Miss Thang gets her tonsils out in 14 days-they gotta be free of infection, right? 3. Tonsils which are infected when removed bring on complications like oh, sepsis and DEATH. The nurse calls back 20 minutes with a prescription for amoxil. I ask if I can just give her cheerios instead since they will do just as well. She says to call back on Friday if she's not better. I hate it when you have a great doc and a bitch of a nurse. I think if my girl's tonsils didn't try to close off her airway every 8 weeks, we could just let the damn things rot out.

8 comments:

BB said...

yeah, i hate speakerphone. i purposely cuss and act a fool when i'm on one. i love hearing them scramble for the headset. LOL!

good luck, honey...xoxo

AM said...

what a biotch! I'd complain until the dr. got rid of her....ha! BUT that's me.

From the Doghouse said...

You're a nurse, probably with more experience than her. Talk over her head so much she gets fed up and just patches you through every time. Then she's a non-issue.

Webmaster said...

What a nightmare. I hate dealing with these types. I know they don't really give a damn about me or you, but it sure would be nice if they'd at least act like it.

Stacey said...

Holy crap, what is it with pediatrician staff? It's so hit and miss at Ace's ped - some of them are just downright awesome, some of them are jerks. If you hate kids, maybe you should, I don't know, um, NOT WORK WITH THEM?

Patronizing medical staff just piss me off to no extent. Yeah, I get it, you're smarter than me. I'm a college dropout, you're a doctor, bully for you, I bet your mama's proud. SHUT UP.

:)

I'm feeling saucy today. Can you tell?

Supermom said...

it drives my husband CRAZY when a doctor or other medical staff patronizes him (talks 'down' to him).

I'm surprised you didn't go even more taco box on them. (heh)

Forcedtoretirelegaleagle said...

My youngest had ear infections a lot and had tubes in her ears when she was an infant. She had another set of tubes and had her adenois (sp?) out when she was about 3. Amoxicilin worked on her about as well as Kool-Aid would have.

mayberry said...

Can I go with ya'll? Maybe they'd take mine out with hers and give us a two for one special??! =)