Aug 9, 2006

Sunsets...



Today I was on the road ALL DAY LONG...I feel like I spent the day holding out a cup saying "pee in this!" Thus is the life of a nurse that also covers DOT testing..From Carthage to Forest then to Union...

After work, we decided to go to the hospital and see the kids' great-grandmothers-my 'out-laws' (haha) Both are in the hospital, one on the 2nd floor, the other on the third. One is in her late 70's, still living alone and taking care of herself (and occasionally a great-grand or 2) who is in with a bout of bronchitis and septicemia. We expect her discharge tomorrow, and being the spitfire she is, flat-out refused home health. The other is in her late 80's, bedbound and admitted with aspiration pneumonia-the decision will have to be made regarding feeding tube placement. It is so sad to see her skin that smooth, unwrinkled and free of distress...but her mind is no more. That she doesn't know me is not surprising; I divorced her grandson 6 years ago. However it does bother me that she does not know the kids~the boys are 15, and still go at least once a month with their grandfather to see her in the nursing home. Everything you say to her she repeats it back to you. This was the first time in 6 years I have seen her...my mom cried to see her in that condition, but I guess being a nurse I wasn't surprised. She is well cared for in the nursing home, but her days are probably numbered.

As we were leaving the hospital, we noticed this beautiful sunset with the rays of light coming through the clouds. We all have a thought about this kind of sunlight...it is God taking His angels to heaven, and I know who we were thinking of when we saw it.

May she go in Peace.

Update: She died Friday evening-8/11/06...peacefully.