Oct 23, 2007

Looking Up




My 2nd son (by a whole 45 seconds) was diagnosed with ADD when he was 8. He was treated with Adderall which made him lose weight he couldn't afford to lose, then Inderal that brought out tics and twitches that almost went into full blown Tourette's Syndrome.(Deuce Bigelow, anyone?) He has not been treated since he was 11.

Thursday, he started Strattera. A non-controlled substance, not an amphetamine, but a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor that increases focus and concentration. He seems better, but I think it is his wanting it to work that he seems improved. Labeling indicates 7-21 days before the full effects occur. Of course the usual mood altering drugs for adolescents include suicide warnings.

His dad and the evil StepBITCH told him to refuse to take the meds, that he is just lazy.

CAN I HURT THESE PEOPLE? I really think the meds are the only chance he has to pass...he's 16 and in 10th grade by 1/2 credit.

If you see me on the street twitching and bloody, don't even ask.
~>:<

4 comments:

BB said...

girl...take it from me. i watched my brother suffer since the age of 8 from ADHD. in the 80s, ritalin was the cure of the day.

my mom would take him off the meds during the summer just so he could GROW. i remember him going from 5'2" to 5'7" in one summer.

every case is different, but for my brother, meds were the only way he could function on a daily basis. if you've tried everything else, then meds maybe your route.

hang in there.... :)

p.s. give me the stepMONSTER's name and i'll wish a yeast infection on her that itches in church! :)

Susan said...

I feel his pain. Quite literally and on all counts. I dropped 20 pounds in 2 months (down to 95 lbs) when they started me on Concerta. I was drinking Boost every day just to get calories. I've been on just about every medication, approved and not, and it's such a struggle to find something that works but doesn't try to kill me.

For me, it helped knowing it wasn't ME. I felt really dumb for a long time, and knowing that I COULD function, I just needed help, really gave me a new perspective. Even when I'm not medicated, I know why I'm having trouble thikning and it's easier to handle than thinking I'm just too stupid to do anything.

It's a shame the wicked stepwitch doesn't have that excuse for her stupidity.

Stacey said...

CAN I HURT THESE PEOPLE?

Yes you can. As an untreated ADD sufferer who feels downright STUPID at times, I will totally be your alibi. Nobody should have to suffer with ADD - especially not a child in school.

Forcedtoretirelegaleagle said...

There is nothing worse than an ex-wife-in-law! They are all bitches!